Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products Act (COTPA) 2003 Specified Siganges for Public Information
Section 4 Signage:
Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places- Section 4 of Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act 2003(COTPA):
Who can download?
Owner, Perpetrator, Manager, Supervisor or in charge of the affairs of a Public Place is responsible to display this signage.
Where to install the Signage?• Entrance(on every floor of the public place) of the public place
• All conspicuous places inside
• Staircase and entrance to the lift at each floor
Please note: If anyone in-charge of the public place fails to display such signages they are liable to pay fine (up to Rs. 200) equivalent to the number of individual offences.
Specification of the Board:1) The board shall be of a minimum size of 60cm by 30cm of white background.
2) It shall contain a circle of not less than 15cm outer diameter with a red perimeter of not less than 3cm wide with the picture, in the center of the cigarette or Bidi with black smoke and crossed by a red band.
3) The width of the red band across the cigarette shall equal width of the red perimeter.
4) The board shall contain the warning “no smoking area-smoking here is an offence “, In English or one Indian language, as applicable.
5) Name, designation and contact number of in charge person should be mention below the signage (minimum size of 60cm by 15 cm of white background).
Signages for Tobacco Vendors/Retailers (Section 5) (signage ready to print):
Section 5 of Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products Act 2003(COTPA) Prohibits all kinds of direct and indirect advertisement, promotion, sponsorship of use or consumption of cigarettes or any other tobacco product and it also suggest to put section 5 board(as shown in the figure) by the shop keeper in-front of the shop. Sections 24 of COTPA punish the violator imprisonment for a term which may extend to two years or with fine which may extend to Rs 1000. Or with both for first conviction and for second or subsequent conviction with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 5 years and with fine which may extend to Rs 5000.
Section 6(a) Signage for Tobacco Sellers/Vendors which should be exhibited in front the shop or Point of Sale (PoS):
Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products act 2003(COTPA) Prohibits all kinds of tobacco products sale to and by minors. It mandates to exhibit the 6(a) signage as shown in the picture (signage is ready to print).
Section 6(b)Board for Educational Institution:
Section 6(b) of Cigarette and Other Tobacco Products Act 2003(COTPA) Prohibits on sale of cigarette or any other tobacco products (a) to any person who is under eighteen years of age and (b) in an area within a radius of one hundred yards of any Educational Institutions.
Section 7 Specified Health Warnings on Tobacco Product Packages (To be displayed by the manufacturer/retailer)
For more details on the legislation, please visit COTPA Law Manual.